Join one of the most popular photo and multimedia communities anywhere! Commons is more than just Wikipedia’s image repository. It is also an independent project that documents the world through photos, videos, and recordings.
Wikimedia Commons is an open-source app that grantees and volunteers have created and maintained to allow Wikimedia Community members to contribute to Wikimedia commons. Wikimedia Commons is hosted by Wikimedia Foundation. While the Wikimedia Foundation is happy to offer the app here, it does not own or maintain the app. The information at the bottom contains more information about the app and its privacy policies. For information about the Wikimedia Foundation, visit us at wikimediafoundation.org.
Upload photos directly to Commons from your smartphone
You can categorize your photos so that it is easier for others to find them.
– Based on title and photo location, categories are automatically suggested
– See nearby missing images – This allows Wikipedia to have images in all articles. You will also discover beautiful locations close to you
– All contributions to Commons are displayed in one gallery
The app is simple to use:
Log in to your Wikimedia Account (if you don’t already have one, you can create one at this step).
– Click on the picture icon or select ‘From Gallery’
– Choose the image you want to upload to Commons
– Type a description and a title for the photo
Select the license you want to publish your image under
– Input as many relevant categories (if possible)
– Press Save
These guidelines will help to identify the photos that are being sought by the community.
Photographs that capture the world around us – celebrities, political events and landscapes, wildlife, food, architecture, and natural objects
Photos of famous objects you find in the Nearby List.
Photos of friends and you. It doesn’t really matter if your friends are in the photo if you’re documenting an event.
Poor quality photos. Photographs of poor quality.
– Website: https://commons-app.github.io/
– Bug reports: https://github.com/commons-app/apps-android-commons/issues
– Discussion: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons_talk:Mobile_app & https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/commons-app-android
– Source code: https://github.com/commons-app/apps-android-commons