Is the Ring App Worth It? A Homeowner’s Honest Review
I’m the kind of person who jumps slightly when the wind knocks something over on the porch. So, naturally, I’m all about home security. Ring has become a popular name in this space, and their app is the brains behind their suite of DIY security products. I’ve used the Ring app for a couple of years now, alongside my growing collection of their cameras and the Ring Alarm system. It’s been a journey, so let’s get into the good, the bad, and whether it’s worth adding to your smart home setup.
What Does the Ring App Do, Anyway?
Think of the Ring app as your security command center. Here’s the core of what it offers:
- Your Eye on the Outside (Or Inside): Live view from any Ring camera, plus a library of recorded clips when motion activates them.
- Answer the Door From Anywhere: See who’s there, have a two-way conversation through your doorbell, or even sound the alarm if you spot trouble.
- Stay Alert: Motion notifications so you know when something (or someone) is lurking just out of frame.
- Arm and Disarm with a Tap: Control your Ring Alarm system’s status remotely.
- The Household is In On It: Share access and control with family.
Reasons I Like the Ring App
- A+ for User-Friendliness: Even tech-challenged folks can figure this one out, from setup to daily use.
- Everything (Ring) is Connected: One app to rule my cameras, doorbell, and alarm simplifies life.
- It Mostly Works: Timely notifications and reliable features for the most part.
Okay, Tell Me What You DON’T Like…
- Subscription = The Full Experience: Cloud video storage, professional monitoring, it all costs extra with a Ring Protect Plan.
- Sometimes a Bit Laggy: Loading live views or past events can occasionally test my patience.
- Neighborhoods: Blessing or Curse? This community safety feature can be useful, but it raises privacy concerns for some (including me).
My Two Cents
If you own Ring gear, the app is practically a requirement. It delivers what it promises in a mostly straightforward way. The constant push toward their subscription service is the main catch in my book. If you can stomach the recurring cost, you’ll unlock the best Ring has to offer, with the app making it all easy to manage.
- Deals on Bundles: Ring often offers packages that include Ring Protect. Do your research for the best value.
- Master Your Motion Zones: Fine-tune those settings or get bombarded with alerts every time a squirrel runs by.
- Consider Your Data: Ring’s partnership with Amazon and the Neighborhoods feature bring up valid privacy considerations.